BK 24 (Jun 2, 2020): Exposure: Poisoned Water, Corporate Greed and One Lawyer's Twenty-Year Battle Against DuPont
Our discussion on Jun 2nd will be on Exposure: Poisoned Water, Corporate Greed and One Lawyer's Twenty-Year Battle Against DuPont by Robert Bilott (Oct 8, 2019).
With 372 reading pages it will be approximately 12 pages a day.
Check out the bio & videos below:
"Silent Spring meets Erin Brockovich in this eye-opening, riveting true story of the lawyer who spent two decades building a case against DuPont for its use of the hazardous, unregulated chemical PFOA, uncovering a history of environmental contamination that affects virtually every person on the planet, and the heartless behavior that kept it a secret for 60 years.
Feb 15, 2020
Can't embed...55 min C-SPAN
Movie Dark Waters (Videos of Interviews with Mark Ruffalo & Robert Bilott)
2015 The Intercept Article: "The Teflon Toxin: DuPont and the Chemistry of Deception" Look on left side there are 3 parts to this article!
2016 NY Times Article: "The Lawyer Who Became DuPont's Worst Nightmare"
Bad Chemistry - 41 Articles by Sharon Lerner in The Intercept
EWG Petition to Sign to Clean Up Toxic PFAS at Military Bases
This is what we discussed at the Meeting...
* The Blog post (Above) with all the materials I have on it & how each have something others do not
* 99.7% of people having C8 in them.
* Testing for C8
* Military Bases having C8 in the water and nobody is doing anything about it (See video directly above) & Retired US Army pilot Jim Holmes' daughter
* Being grateful for Robert Bilott & that he & his firm stayed with this case for so long
* Chemours & GenX
* Virginia EPA & Massey Coal and Federal EPA stepping in
* Federal EPA not doing anything about C8 and letter DuPont determine levels
* Federal EPA grandfathering in 80K chemicals which are not regulated now
* Future EPA if Administration changes & further as younger people become of age to be in office
* Dark Waters movie
* Other articles above
* One source I had saying 1/2 life 4 yrs but rest say Bioaccumulates
* Article that has actual documents you can download
* Article with nice Timeline
* Article with people effected in each state & I mentioned highest & also IL
* Robert Bilott's illness & possible cause???
* Those of us reading Fibershed already a bit on similar issues with synthetic dyes
* How they changed the minimal levels and they were self determining
* Little amount DuPont had to pay in fines to the EPA
* Buckey Bailey & why it study did not show birth defects when DuPont's did and why they could not use those studies in court
* What a Bellwether trial is
* Awareness of this issue with C8
* Awareness of Teflon issue
* Military use of C8
* Firemen and C8 in foam
* Other products with C8 like Dental Floss, plastic materials for impression material etc, flame retardant clothing, carpet etc.
* How new chemicals are approved today
* I will continue to read articles (41 on one line above) and update everyone with anything new
* I showed my schedule for next week being Ocean week & things that changed already! You can participate in presentations
* I discussed movie for this week Minimalism
* I discussed movie for next week Chasing Coral and reason for it being Fri instead of Thurs
* I showed Find Your Water new links (other states, outside US & Virtual Water)
* Next books & future voting
* Next meeting on Zoom to be safe