BK 20 (Feb 4, 2020): On Fire - The (Burning) Case for a Green New Deal
On Feb 4th we will discussion On Fire: The (Burning) Case for a Green New Deal by Naomi Klein (Sep 17, 2019).
With 4 weeks to read 291 pages it is 10 pages a day!
Check out the bio & video below!
"For more than twenty years, Naomi Klein has been the foremost chronicler of the economic war waged on both people and planet—and an unapologetic champion of a sweeping environmental agenda with justice at its center. In lucid, elegant dispatches from the frontlines of contemporary natural disaster, she pens surging, indispensable essays for a wide public: prescient advisories and dire warnings of what future awaits us if we refuse to act, as well as hopeful glimpses of a far better future. On Fire: The (Burning) Case for a Green New Deal gathers for the first time more than a decade of her impassioned writing, and pairs it with new material on the staggeringly high stakes of our immediate political and economic choices.
These long-form essays show Klein at her most prophetic and philosophical, investigating the climate crisis not only as a profound political challenge but as a spiritual and imaginative one, as well. Delving into topics ranging from the clash between ecological time and our culture of “perpetual now,” to the soaring history of humans changing and evolving rapidly in the face of grave threats, to rising white supremacy and fortressed borders as a form of “climate barbarism,” this is a rousing call to action for a planet on the brink.
With reports spanning from the ghostly Great Barrier Reef, to the annual smoke-choked skies of the Pacific Northwest, to post-hurricane Puerto Rico, to a Vatican attempting an unprecedented “ecological conversion,” Klein makes the case that we will rise to the existential challenge of climate change only if we are willing to transform the systems that produced this crisis.
An expansive, far-ranging exploration that sees the battle for a greener world as indistinguishable from the fight for our lives, On Fire captures the burning urgency of the climate crisis, as well as the fiery energy of a rising political movement demanding a catalytic Green New Deal."
You may also want to check out this link on the Encyclical: On Care For Our Common Home discussed on pages 137-148 section "The Radical Vatican?" (102 pages, 91 text to read)
Another piece mentioned in the book is August 2018 New York Times Magazine FULL Issue of "Losing Earth: The Decade We Almost Stopped Climate Change" by Nathaniel Rich. You can subscribe FREE and read it! (45 pages)
Here is also the Time Magazine's Planet of the Year: Endangered Earth mentioned in the book if you would like to read it.
Here is also the link to the Green New Deal. It is only 7 pages! :-)
I have also embedded below the video "A Message From the Future" with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez as well.
Notes from our Discussion...
* One comment was "Best book we've read thus far." :-) (Content & Style!)
* Discussed links I added to the Blog for this book.
* Discussed how the Green New Deal includes working on MANY systems (racism, healthcare, economic disparity, gender issues, etc.) at the same time, which in the end helps Sustainability efforts to be successful
* Discussed the Encyclical: For Care of Our Common Home
* Discussed how BP scientist used the quote "What would you do if you knew you could NOT FAIL" and how that can help creativity, but also can be a problem if you believe you will not fail or no problems/consequences will occur.
* Discussed how it was good to have current data on loss of species, coral reef etc.
* Discussed shortcomings of Obama
* Discussed shortcoming of Justin Trudeau
* Discussed the value of Indigenous people to Sustainability
* Discussed the Creation Care Practicum (Sat may 16th @ Olivet)
* Discussed the Law, Justice & Culture Institute 2020 (May 18th-29th @Olivet)
* Discussed Sunrise Movement
* Discussed books mentioned in this book
* Discussed books I noted at Barnes & Noble recently & that I will get a new voting list out to you next month with these additions.
* Discussed I will email you new list of FREE courses I find.
* Discussed The Last Mountain Movie (Oh Shhhh...I found it FREE to watch online!!!)
* Discussed recent news on warm water under glacier (Bolivia Glaciers mentioned in book).
~ Wired Magazine Article published actually in 2018!
~ Video & article with Wired Magazine Author Jon Gertner
~ His book they mentioned The Ice At the End of the World (Jun 2019) I'll put on our list!
* Discussed the recent Late Show Video with Trump Supporters' Illogical Thinking
* Discussed the recent news item of supplies being found in a warehouse for Puerto Rico Hurricane Maria victims.
* Discussed how to find out what items are from Munger Farms at Walmart, Whole Foods, Safeway & Costco (p 215).
* Discussed using Art like in FDR's New Deal
* Discussed no fossil fuel contributions to candidates
* Discussed AOC's video (see above the Discussion Notes)
* Discussed Canada's proposed plan for Post Offices to be a Green Hub...recharge vehicles, delivery locally grown produce, checks on elderly etc. (p 200-201)
* Discussed update on data in book being useful
* Discussed I'm finalizing showing the Blue Mind docuseries at Bradley Public Library for Earth Week on Sat Apr 25th (daytime)
* Discussed I'm finalizing showing the APA/Eco-America Webinar on the Impacts of Climate Change Earth Week on Sat Apr 25th (evening)
* Discussed New Schedule update on my FREE broadcasts of the Blue Mind docuseries & the APA/Eco-America Webinar on the Impacts of Climate change online.
* Discussed Dr. Wallace J. Nichols 7th Annual Facebook Live Online Book Club starting NEXT Mon, Feb 9th 7pm (central time) to Apr 19th. You can of course view the sessions at your own convenience as they will be posted on his FB page. "Like" his page & you will get alerts when he is going "Live." You do not have to even have the book...he reads each night from it, discusses it, gives updates, sometimes has the actually researchers on live and occasionally we even get to see him do a Keynote Presentation for FREE! :-) I have flyers if you would like to post one. Also of our next book club meeting!